Pages

June 4, 2012

craft & courage

  
Everyone once and a while an event will come along where cost doesn't matter, where prior commitments are thrown out the window and all schedules are cleared. For most people these events are normally reserved for things like weddings, the birth of a child or seeing One Direction in concert but for me, this past weekend's Etsy Success Sydney was that event. A day all to myself, in one of Sydney's most stunning locations, to listen, learn and rediscover a sense of excitement and motivation that is all too often pushed aside. Plus I got a goodie bag - you certainly don't get that a One Direction concert do you? 

The day was rainy yet epic. Angela D'Alton, Etsy's Australian Community Manager did an amazing job putting this event together and kicked off the day with a touching and tearful speech before introducing Chad Dickerson, Etsy's CEO. His presentation on 'Finding Your Courage' was simple, powerful and had a profound impact on me. Sometimes when the timing is right, a message just hits its mark and everything clicks - it was one of those moments. I was feeling all zen with the world when Angela asked me if I wanted to meet Chad, who I should point out is totally down to earth, humble and rather unassuming. Um, yes please, I mean who wouldn't want to exchange banter with Brooklyn's most crafty CEO? Well instead of the witty and creative dialogue I imagined, I got totally nervous and ended up talking about American drip coffee. What?? Yup, my one chance to swap craft renegade war stories and I'm standing there mumbling (at one point I'm pretty sure I stuttered), red in the face talking about Dunkin Donuts. I'm sure it was a highlight for him. 

After I regained my composure the rest of the day went off without a hitch. It was great to see Jayde & Steve from Little Paper Lane, Pottymouthmama, the girls from TMOD and other familiar faces. I even managed to meet a few new people including the pretty kickass Brooklyn Etsy crew without ever mentioning my obsession with drip coffee again. Progress I say. There were discussions about craft and commerce, conversations about courage, I saw lots of brightly coloured tights and finally a glass (or two) of champagne to end the evening. What more could you want? It was Etsy and it was awesome.

8 comments:

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

It was SO great to see you on Saturday. I loved chatting with you, wish it was for a bit longer. I felt like I just flitted from person to person all day. And then I consumed too many champagnes. Yowser.

x

The Beauty Method said...

Hey there, great blog you have here, I have just started following! Thanks for dropping over at mine. See you at BYW. xx

Elise said...

Wow! This looks amazing, and anything involving etsy, has to be not only inspiring but creative! Aren't you glad you cleared your schedule? I would!

I'm so enjoying class! I hope you are too!

Mary C. Nasser said...

Wow! This looks like an amazing event! I want one in the States!!

So nice "meeting" another Etsian blogger.

Wishing you all the best,
Mary (from BYW 2.0)

Charmaine Velasco said...

What an inspiring event, Jaclyn! I really like that photo of the back of the two girls' heads wearing masks. Reminds me of the scene in Amelie when she looks around the theatre at people's reactions to the movie:) Loving your blog too! p.s. your profile pic is gorgeous.

Tanya said...

I wish I was there... finding your courage .... even the title is inspiring! I'm loving your blog! from classmate @byw2 Tanya

Tracey Fisher said...

Hi - dropping in from BYW - this sounds devine. There is nothing like a group of like-minded individuals getting together - so inspiring.

Melissa@lolajazz said...

Another fellow BYW- I had no idea they had Etsy gatherings like this. How fantastic. Loved your drip coffee anecdote...something I'd do :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...